What is Shoulder pain?
It is the pain that is felt in the top of the arm, sometimes involving the neck. Being a ball and socket joint, the most movable joint in the body, it is also the most unstable joint as it allow an active range of motion in multiple direction. Shoulder pain can be a result of muscles, bones, ligaments and other structures around shoulder being injured, strained or diseased. It can be a referred pain, meaning the painful area is not the source of the problem but comes from another area in the body. One in 10 people in the world have shoulder pain sometime in their lives.
What are the common causes of Shoulder pain?
The underlying factors of shoulder pain can be numerous and in some cases unidentified. However, the most common contributions to shoulder pain include:
- Bursitis/ Rotator Cuff Tendinitis: most commonly diagnosed condition
- Rotator Cuff Tear: Surgery is often done to manage this condition
- Frozen Shoulder: Also called as “Adhesive Capsulitis”, stiffness of shoulder joint
- Calcific Tendonitis: Deposits of calcium within the rotator cuff tendons
- Shoulder Instability: Can be due to shoulder dislocation or may be a developed condition
- Shoulder Separation: Occurs due to injury to the Acromioclavicular joint
- Arthritis: Less common than knee and hip, but might occur after shoulder replacement surgery
- Biceps Tendon Rupture: It occurs when the proximal part of tendon ruptures near the joint.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT WITH US TODAY AND TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR CONDITION!!!